MY PERSPECTIVE ON THERAPY
Dr. Michael Dadson (Mike Dadson), Ph.D.
- University of British Columbia alumni
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with the British Columbia Clinical Counselling Association (BCACC)
- Canadian Certified Counsellor with the Canadian Counsellor and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
Dr. Mike Dadson completed his Ph.D. specializing in trauma, men’s mental health issues (see Publications Section below), trauma and trauma revocery. With a “down to earth” approach, Michael Dadson values the integrity of his clients, and makes the counselling experience for his clients as relaxing, comfortable and effective as possible. Dr. Dadson will prioritize making his clients counselling experience non-judgemental and professional in an accepting space.
- Ph.D.in University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Counselling Psychology, November, 2013
Research question: “How do men construct the process of therapeutic repair
from trauma experienced in their relationship with their fathers?
Title: Stories of our fathers: Men’s recovery from intergenerational injuries.
Supervisor: Dr. Marv Westwood, Dr. Marla Buchanan and Dr. David Kuhl
- M.A . Trinity Western University, Langley, BC, Canada
Counselling Psychology, May, 2005
Research question: “What is the lived experience of being in a close
relationship with one’s father?”
Title: The stories of father and child closeness
Supervisor: Dr. Marv MacDonald and Dr. Jessica Ball
LICENSES AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Licensed in the Province of BC
- Registered Clinical Counsellor, BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- Canadian Certified Counsellor
- Crime Victims Assistance Counsellor
- Certified Myers-Briggs Personality Type Assessor
- First Nations Health Authority (FNHA)
- Registered provider for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Blue Cross provider for Veterans and RCMP
- Service provider for Victims Services
- Registered provider of services for ICBC
For a full list of Dr. Mike Dadson’s Certifications, click here
- Dr. Michael Dadson ‘s research into men’s mental health, father and son relationships, trauma and trauma recovery and veterans and veteran treatment programs spans more than a decade.
Visit Dr. Michael Dadson on Academia for a full list of publications.
- Dr. Mike Dadson has worked extensively with individuals, couples, families, and groups for over 35 years.
- As a senior Clinical Director, Dr. Michael Dadson has trained and supervised over 50 graduate students within both agencies and university settings.
- Michael Dadson is a past Director of the International Society of Trauma and Dissociation and has lead workshops and presenting publishing papers at the Society’s annual conference.
- Dr. Dadson has completed BC Pride In Service Training : Caring for Indigenous Children
- Dr. Dadson has published several articles on the treatment and effects of trauma in journals and professional magazines.
- Dr. Mike Dadson has many years of trauma therapy experience, working with conditions such as PTSD, developmental trauma, depression, anxiety, and addictions and has advanced training in several modalities of trauma treatment as identified in the Certifications Section below.
- Certified in QPRT Suicide Risk Assessment and Management Dr. Mike Dadson has presented several workshops that focus on helping families cope with depression, anxiety, and stress, in government, community and university settings.
- For several years Michael Dadson was the National Director and Clinical Director of the Veterans Transition Network a national non-profit organisation that helps returning veterans recover from combat stress and transitional issues. Michael Dadson offered advanced training to therapists, psychologists, and counsellors in the practice of group therapy, therapeutic enactments, trauma recovery and transitions for veteran’s and first responders recovering from Occupational Stress Injuries.
- Mike Dadson has also worked as a Clinical Director with nurse, physician, and educational specialists partnering to treat students suffering from anxiety, depression, eating disorders, stress, addictions, and relationship issues in a university wellness centre.
- Further, Michael Dadson and Jeanette Dadson have been assisting children with special needs and their families for over 20 years. As a therapeutic foster parent Dr. Mike Dadson has lived with and worked therapeutically with children who have ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, FASD, major brain injuries and stroke.
- Dr. Mike Dadson is a Level III therapeutic foster parent who has worked with special needs foster parents and contracted with Intensive Child Care Resources Vancouver. In 2009, Michael Dadson and Jeanette were honored by the Ministry of Children and Families with an award in “Recognition for their Outstanding Service to Children in Care.” Dr. Dadson is a retired Chaplain with advanced training in spiritual development including diversity, purpose, meaning, suffering, dignity and pastoral care.
- Dr. Michael Dadson supervises Gentle Currents Therapy graduate interns. All Interns are in their final year of their M.A. in a counselling psychology related degree and are interviewed and selected for their fit in our centre.